Scientists have detected evidence of a colossal explosion in space - five times bigger than anything observed before.
The huge release of energy is thought to have emanated from a supermassive black hole some 390 million light years from Earth.
The UK will endeavour to continue within a €100bn (£85bn) EU science programme after Brexit.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson gave the green light for the UK to negotiate its continued participation within the Horizon Europe research programme.
The race is on to find out how the deadly coronavirus jumped from animals to humans. Helen Briggs looks at how scientists are trying to trace the source of the outbreak.
Somewhere in China, a bat flits across the sky, leaving a trace of coronavirus in its droppings, which fall to the forest floor. A wild animal, possibly a pangolin snuffling for insects among the leaves,
Ever heard of the gnu goat, the red-eared guenon or the Gila monster?
They could be the future icons of conservation, according to a study. Scientists say these little-known animals are key to raising money for protecting vulnerable ecosystems.
Scientists say they have seen a remarkable collection of blue whales in the coastal waters around the UK sub-Antarctic island of South Georgia.
Their 23-day survey counted 55 animals - a total that is unprecedented in the decades since commercial whaling ended.
The UK's first industrial contribution to the International Space Station (ISS) was delivered on Tuesday.
The communications antenna is part of a consignment of supplies that arrived on a Cygnus freighter.
Stay Connected with
- Post-Brexit talks: We'll find out what's going on, TUC boss warns PM 0 Comment Details
- Coronavirus: Shares face worst week since global financial crisis 0 Comment Details
- Post-Brexit talks: UK prepared to walk away in June if no progress 0 Comment Details
- Climate campaigners win Heathrow expansion case 0 Comment Details
- Coronavirus: Global shares fall for fifth day in a row 0 Comment Details
- Budget 2020: Chancellor must raise taxes in first Budget, says IFS 0 Comment Details