There were some superb displays in the Premier League this weekend as 34 goals were scored over the 10 fixtures.
Seven came at Goodison Park, where Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez returned to form for Arsenal to inflict more woe on Everton
"I told the group: Messi did not owe the World Cup to Argentina, but football owed the World Cup to Messi."
Coach Jorge Sampaoli was speaking after a Lionel Messi hat-trick against Ecuador - the 44th of
England manager Gareth Southgate painted a brutally honest picture of his current squad - and arguably their chances at next summer's World Cup - when he cast doubt on whether he possessed "big players".
The Football Association could bid to host the Champions League final in 2023, according to confidential UK Sport documents obtained by the BBC.
The game is one of a number of "hosting targets" and a "strategic priority".
Fifa has rejected the Football Association's appeal to rubber-stamp midfielder Adrien Silva's move to Leicester City from Sporting Lisbon.
Leicester submitted paperwork on Silva's £22m switch 14 seconds
Real Madrid forward Gareth Bale has been ruled out of Wales' crucial World Cup qualifiers against Georgia and the Republic of Ireland with a calf strain.
Real manager Zinedine Zidane had played down concerns about Bale's fitness,
Stay Connected with
- Renault ousts chief executive Thierry Bolloré in 'coup' 0 Comment Details
- Brexit: EU gives go-ahead for 'more intense' talks 0 Comment Details
- Extinction Rebellion: PM labels protesters 'unco-operative crusties' 0 Comment Details
- No-deal Brexit would push UK debt to 50-year high, says think tank 0 Comment Details
- Unilever to cut plastic use to appeal to Gen Z 0 Comment Details
- Macron: EU Brexit deal decision 'at end of week' 0 Comment Details